Feature request: Copy filename into clipboard.

stevelon

Feature request: Copy filename into clipboard.

Post by stevelon »

This is proably too esoteric a request but I'll ask anyway.

I'll often do a file search to see if I already have the attachment referred to in a header. If the filename is long or complicated, instead of just typing the filename into the search program I'll use Ctrl-C in UE to copy the whole header, paste it into the XP search program and manually trim it down to the filename.

It would be nice to have a function in UE analogous to Ctrl-C to capture just the file name in a header.

Thanks for considering.
Josef K

Re: Feature request: Copy filename into clipboard.

Post by Josef K »

stevelon wrote:I'll often do a file search to see if I already have the attachment referred to in a header.
I've discussed this several times before with Alex, or at least another way to solve this problem. I proposed a duplicate database where, for each attachment, UE generates a signature each time it downloads or begins to download the first few segments of a file. This would use something reliable like MD5 to ensure true duplicates. Each time you would go to download another article, these first beginning segments would then be compared to the duplicates database and either allowed or the download would be terminated and the partially downloaded segments moved to a storage area within UE or deleted.

Determining the duplicates by binary comparing the beginning segments would bypass the issue you would face. After all, some things are posted where the poster has inexplicably renamed the file(s). The biggest culprit here would be for images - the content stays the same but the filename does not. If you want to copy just the filename, you would have to assume that the poster used correct formatting and enclosed the filename in quotes. If not, then it would be difficult for UE to determine which part was the filename at all.

I would say that the more you've downloaded, the more likely you are to accidentally download duplicates. Whether or not this ever sees its way into UE is up to Alex but I do occasionally remind him of it. However, there is always something he's working on and I suspect a duplicate database would be a somewhat time consuming task.