newbie Q1

Kristi

newbie Q1

Post by Kristi »

Finally got 3.75 running as a trial! yay!
I have been warned that there is a bit of a learning curve with this newsreader, so please bear with me...

1 I am used to getting all new headers on a group and then marking those I'm not really interested in as "read" and having these disappear from the current view so I am seeing only "unread" ones. I can easily see how to mark certain headers as "read", but not how to make them disappear from the current view.

Any help would be appreciated!
tia!
Kristi
Shuttle AN35N Ultra, XP2600Bart(11.5x400), 512mb, GeF4Ti4200, WinXPproSP1.
alex

Post by alex »

you can use edit menu->message filter, "messages" "are" "read" "extract". you can also save it and add as initial filter to all groups if you like.

you can also delete the messages instead of marking read, you can see them later with edit menu->show deleted headers (although bodies by default, set in properties->general, are deleted).
Kristi

Post by Kristi »

Thanks! :D

Deleting selected headers would satisfy the requirement. However, if I were to have "enable purging deleted headers" checked, would I lose all of them each time I stop NP, or does "natural" retention (both server and groups) take precidence?

I was unsuccessful with msg filters however: I can do a msg filter for messages/read/ban and make them disappear, but I am unable to do this automatically. I used filter edit to edit my little filter to say "messages, are, read, ban" and saved it, and told NP to use it as an initial filter for one ng. But the read headers are still visible, along with all the rest.
thoughts?
tia!!
Kristi
alex

Post by alex »

there is the 'save' button, edit menu->save filter (while it is active); in the newsgroups pane of the workspace window you can select newsgroups and define it as the initial filter, so when you open the newsgroups it will be applied right away.

if purging is enabled to get headers back you need to disable purging with subsequent "rescan headers".
Kristi

Post by Kristi »

Do me a favor and ignore this post (I deleted the content). I needed to do a "Close newsgroup" and then an "Open Newsgroup". Duh! :oops:

Thanks.
Kristi
alex

Post by alex »

or you can use edit menu->purge deleted headers, it just keeps it while the newsgroup is open.