Erro Downloading - 20020 (Bad Message-Id)

Post Reply
Dave RL
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Erro Downloading - 20020 (Bad Message-Id)

Post by Dave RL »

Recently I have been getting the following error message sporatically when downloading message bodies:

NewsPro Error - Bad Message-Id in the retrieved article (20020)

I think this might be a server prob with COX but I wasn't sure.

-Dave
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

it means the server returned wrong or empty article.

you may try to increase the number of retries, probably also to report the problem to the server support.

it is newspro message, it just checks that the message-id in the retrieved article and in the header list is the same, since in the past there were cases malfunctioned servers returned garbage data.
Dave RL
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by Dave RL »

Thanks alex,

Any way to know if it is a missing body or a garbled body?

I guess I can still download most of the parts and use the par2 files to assemble.

Thanks for the quick reply,

-Dave
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

there is no option to switch the check off.

with par2 you will get the same result if you save the incomplete partial without such a body.

to verify what it is when it starts downloading try to doubleclick the blue bar corresponding to the article in the task manager (or click it - it will become red and then press 'view article') it should open the body with the headers (set it to show all headers in properties->articles). limit bandwidth to 1K in properties->tasks and leave only this task (e.g. disable autopartial support in partial menu) so it will be easy to locate and progressing slow so you'll have time to click before it has finished.

if you see article the headers you should see what is wrong or let me know them.

if even with bandwidth limit the download of large article (part of a partial) finishes immediately with the error message it means the body is empty (it is what i saw once with some server).

newspro checks message-id only after downloading the complete body since usually it doesn't matter so you can be able to see to open article body from the task manager and the scenario should work.
Dave RL
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by Dave RL »

Ok, I'll try that.

BTW thanks for creating such a great program and for the great support!

-Dave
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

the best is to come :)
sam
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:26 pm

Post by sam »

I too have been having this problem for awhile and assumed it was my isp.

here is a msg id that newspro says is good

here is a msg id that newspro says is bad

I installed another nntp client and downloaded this same post without problem, and it tested fine with winrar.

what's the problem ?

Regards
clemchen
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:17 am

Erro Downloading - 20020

Post by clemchen »

I have noticed increasing frequency of this error as well in the last month. It seems to work okay with other nntp.

I am not that familiar with the app to extract the message id's so I am not able to provide the specifics.
alex
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 pm

Post by alex »

does it succeed if you try repeatedly?

if the condition persists you could give me the access to the server and the article affected or i could send you a compilation where the check is disabled.

it might be a bug with the server when it returns wrong article or empty article when retrieving by message-id, if i have the access i could verify what it is exactly.
Post Reply