Select timeout error (20005)

Havs

Select timeout error (20005)

Post by Havs »

I just switched from newsfeeds to giganews' new unlimited plan, I couldn't be happier except for one problem. I keep getting the error "NewsPro - Select timeout error (20005)" on about 1 out of 10 rar's i attempt to download. The odd thing is that this only happens on the last part of a multipart file. When I hit 'F2' to check for information it always says 78 of 79 or 111 of 112 on files that have generated this error.

Normally I wouldn't mind an occasional error, especially since I'm averaging around 99.9% completion and the par2 files more than make up for missing parts. However, whenever this error happens, that particular task hangs for up to 5 minutes before generating the error. Since giganews only allows 4 simultaneous tasks, there are times when all 4 tasks are completely hung, resulting in a 0 KBps download speed. Any ideas on what this is and how to fix it?
alex

Post by alex »

if it happens on a random basis it could be the firewall problem, if it looks like connected to the server try to contact their support, maybe they have a clue. as to newspro it just tries to download the body in a straightforward way. you may also to uncheck keep-alive in properties->general (when checked it should be faster, but maybe server has a problem with reusing connections).