changing search server standard port

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.

kheldar01

changing search server standard port

Post by kheldar01 »

Hi
usually I use UE at home with no problems at all
but recently I tried to using it on a network with an access behind a proxy.

The only standards ports opened are the 443 and the 563 so I can download articles from servers using SSL but the search feature wont work cause I saw in the menu it uses the 2020 port closed.

Tried to change to 443 or 563 but still getting error.

Is possible to open those ports on remote search server ?
alex

Post by alex »

as to the port the ue service settings will be removed in the next version - probably in a couple of days since the person who will assemble the 8GB server computer will be back on Friday and I'm trying to get the software ready by then, so the port won't be clearly defined, it is a part necessary for the new service organizing to support arbitrary search service retention.

what i suggest you run e.g. a socks5 proxy on your home computer which listens on port 563 (e.g. look at www.proxylabs.com, my brother wrote such a server you can use it at least for tests, it works well for sure, then you can find something free somewhere else), then you set local proxy in the ue settings (but don't check the local proxy check box for every server, only check the main local proxy check box), then all requests will go through your computer, so you can access the search through the proxy.

what you suggest (to use a certain single port) limits the options to organize the service effectively so it may result in bottlenecks given my resources here to provide the service. from other side the proxy workaround works, you just go around a proxy with another proxy :)

in principle i can run an "open" proxy as well limiting its permissions to the ue service access point, i'm not sure too many people would need it, if you find at least 2 more users who need it i would run it :)