Search service status

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
wa5rrh

Search service status

Post by wa5rrh »

Getting the "System: 10061" message again....

I can ping ueservice and ueservice2, and telnet to ueservice

Telnet to ueservice2 fails - "Could not open a connection to the host..."
seaniekaye

Post by seaniekaye »

Yup, I'm getting that too : (
dwhite32

Post by dwhite32 »

same here
prusiner

Post by prusiner »

Me too
dengle

Post by dengle »

Power outage struck due to severe weather at approximately 11:30AM GMT -5.

That wouldn't be too bad as the servers do have a battery backup which lasts about 1 to 2 hours. About 10 minutes into the power outage however, the internet service stopped as well. Power and internet just came on about 5 minutes ago.

Servers are both starting back up and search service should be operational in about another 5 to 10 minutes.
bassie

Post by bassie »

maybe something still wrong?

Because it does not seem to work here at the moment.

8)
jdr1700

Post by jdr1700 »

Yeah - it's still broke.

24+ hours now?
dengle

Post by dengle »

ah, I missed the start time. I thought it was due to the power outage at my location. Researching the cause.
jdr1700

Post by jdr1700 »

Just out of curiosity, what is the general location of the servers and of the people who fix things when they break?
mrw02536

Server outage

Post by mrw02536 »

Any further word on the outage - I'm still getting a "time-out" on my searches?
alex

Post by alex »

there was unrelated power outage at another server location due to a mechanical failure on a power plant about 28 hours ago.

there was noone to restart it right away and i wasn't notified in time (i'm not in place until May, 15 since work on v2.0 left some matters unattended which i have to take care of now). startup menu was somehow empty for that intance since i had to move database after one drive failed, i now set it up right, otherwise it would work 7 hours ago when the instances were restarted manually but not right which left one listening socket non-binded (with the instance still processing headers).

when i'm back i'll set up automated alert system so i'll be notified promptly if servers are down, the work on v2.0 is finished so i have time for that now.