Search Service Update Error (with proxy set)

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
kheldar01

Search Service Update Error (with proxy set)

Post by kheldar01 »

Hi,
using UE behind a proxy for a long time (network closes all the standard ports and non standars too)
All worked well but this morning I was trying a search and UE told me that search configuration has been changed so it had to re-download the configuration but when the program try accessing to the net I got an error telling me to check proxy config.

Maybe there is a problem with the update process of the search service not using proxy while the searches use it

Using UE 3.02 64 on windows 7 64 bit.
alex

Re: Search Service Update Error (with proxy set)

Post by alex »

Did it update the configuration? For updating configuration it tries first to connect using the local proxy if it is defined in properties->proxies, if that fails - it tries to connect directly. So check local proxy whether it is right.

When searching (serving search requests with up to date configuration) it uses the access proxy for the topmost "Search service" entry, I've just tried it and it works, when I enter a wrong address as proxy it gives proxy error, when it is a proxy it returns search results.

Try to telnet the proxy, telnet name port - to ensure at least it is alive.

One of server farms is currently unaccessible, it is why configuration has been switched, last year or so such situations were quite rare so you could easily miss them and it didn't have the chance to switch the configuration.
kheldar01

Post by kheldar01 »

Ue tries to update the configuration but it cant.

So searches are not available right now. Last week all worked well with the same proxy configuration (local http proxy on port 8080).

I'm using the same proxy to go on Internet too so is working well.

Maybe the update configuration wont work as the actual search about the proxy, or maybe the new address of the search server farm is not available to my proxy (Network administrator could have set some kind of filters based on IP, not sure on this).

But, I repeat all worked well when connected to the other server farm last week
alex

Post by alex »

Updating configuration and searches are different things.

If search works through http proxy it means updating configuration should work the same well or even more likely since it is just reading html page.

But proxy definitions are different, do you have local proxy set and checked in edit menu->properties->proxies?

Or you just defined an access proxy for the "Search service" topmost entry?

If all goes through the proxy it should be local proxy defined and "relay through local proxy" checked for the "search service" entry with no access proxy defined.

I can add manual entering of search service configuration (copy/paste from the file), if you told me yesterday it could be added to 3.0.3 :)
alex

Post by alex »

it was back to normal already so now it should work again for you without configuration change.

if the local proxy set right doublecheck that the UE site can be opened from there, it is where the configuration file is downloaded from.
kheldar01

Post by kheldar01 »

You're right now all works again with no changes on proxy setting in UE.

Anyway my setting on proxy are:
http proxy on port 8080 set as local proxy

Search service set to relay thru local proxy.

I can access to www.usenetexplorer.com using proxy and webbrowser without problems.

Really dont know why UE couldnt download the new configuration.
alex

Post by alex »

I've just found the problem after examining it more carefully in debug mode.

Check "Local proxy for a new server" and then it will work.

I'll fix it in the next release, in the check for updates code it sets the corresponding variable, but in the search service configuration update code (it is similar and in the same source file) the line is missing, so what happens it uses the value of the check box then.
kheldar01

Post by kheldar01 »

Ok thanks for the info.

Till the new release, I'll check the option "Local proxy for a new server", so in case of search configuration change , UE search will works with proxy.

Thanks again.