RFC: time-counter/bandwith-counter

Post Reply
Jansky
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:31 pm

RFC: time-counter/bandwith-counter

Post by Jansky »

Huh, many things have changed (like my username) since my last
forum-visit more than a year ago. So i think i must drop my ideas
inside here - lets start:

is it possible to implement a "summary" and a "time-counter" info-field
in the Server-Tab AND the "newsgroup&server - window style"-View
beside the Server-Tree (like it is at the Newsgroup-list) ?

For explenation see this simple example:
(newsgroup&server - window style)

now it looks like this (+/- means open/close tree in win-sytle-view):
+Newsgroups
-Servers
+news.server1.com [500M]
+news.server2.net [600M]
-Newsgroup List <#> [Empty]
+newsgroup-1 [8597]
+newsgroup-2 [163529]
+Public Servers

but i wish that it looks like this way:
+Newsgroups
-Servers [1.100M in 11:53]
+news.server1.com [500M]
+news.server2.net [600M]
-Newsgroup List <#> [Empty]
+newsgroup-1 [8597]
+newsgroup-2 [163529]
+Public Servers

so you can watch your effective bandwith (something) like this
(newsgroup&server - window style) in realtime:
+Newsgroups
+Servers [1.100M in 11:53]
+Newsgroup List <#> [Empty]
+Public Servers

It can be used for "statistical" Information.
It can be used for "measurement".
It can be used for "operating controll".
Jansky
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:31 pm

hm ..

Post by Jansky »

.. could the readers follow my idea ?

if so, please give us some feedback
jpf
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:29 pm

Post by jpf »

Wouldn't the time for each item be required to be collected and parsed to achieve this? Otherwise, when messages are deleted the sum would be wrong. The overhead might be considerable as it's not a 'yes/no' type field that needs to be stored.
Having said that; if it could be recorded at header/body download and then ignored then I can see it not getting in the way too much.
Following on from this I would prefer to see this information moved to a separate window so we could see Statistics added to the View menu. Then hopefully the overhead of parsing all this data could be restricted to when that windows is opened and doesn't interfere with normal program operation.

How about a colored line graph (in this statistics window) depicting a visual indication of which server is supplying how much data for each group?

Well, the list could really go on.
Markulous
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:10 am

Post by Markulous »

Surely getting at the totals would be OK as you're already getting the Time left? Personally, I'd find total MB remaining useful

Also, if D/L rates and D/L'd totals would be useful, I can recommend NetLimiter. Its primary purpose is to apply D/L rates to each app (tho' you can do this within streams as well, so setting rates for each server). I use it to prioritise D/Ls and U/Ls

www.netlimiter.com

(No connection with company, just a happy user!)
Mark
Post Reply