Suggestion on bandwidth counters

edfreeman

Suggestion on bandwidth counters

Post by edfreeman »

Since there are some servers which count headers in your allowable limits (like Newsfeeds) and some who don't (like Newshosting, Easynews, Giganews), it would be neat to be able to select whether headers are added to your bandwidth counters for each server.
alex

Post by alex »

Bandwidth counters don't have a direct connection with the download limit functionality, there is an option to reset them when the download limit has been reached, but they are not used to trigger server suspending.

It would matter only if you change server priorities based on the values of download counters, if the providers with free header download allow downloading headers even after the limit has been reached and you are using msg-id direct with the rest of servers it shouldn't be so important.
edfreeman

Post by edfreeman »

I know the bandwidth counters don't really do anything but count. But, I wanted to use them to track my downloads against the limits accurately. Since they count headers and uploads, no matter what, I can't do that.
voripteth

Post by voripteth »

:idea: Something that would be useful to NewsFeed users is if the download count reset itself after midnight each day.
alex

Post by alex »

It can be reset when the download limit is reached - see the 'tasks' menu.

As to the original request - the question here is where to put such an (or similar) option(s) and to avoid overcrowding. With proxies another server pane already had been added. Probably to display the most common options in a table and an 'Advanced' or '->' button when you press it - the the set of shown columns is changed with different edit controls below.

I don't know if would go for it right now (it is not the difficulty to implement that but rather time considerations), but discussing it in principle could help, how separate settings to general and the rest which is not needed for most users and hidden.
voripteth

Post by voripteth »

:? Unfortunately the "Reset on download limit" functionality isn't all that useful. I look at the bandwidth counter to see when I'm close to my limit for the day. If I'm close I may bump up the priority of items that I don't want to wait for.

As it is, my counters are always inaccurate since they almost never reset due to download limits.
alex

Post by alex »

There is also option 'reset bandwidth counters' in tasks menu as well as the option 'reset bandwidth counter(s)' in the context menu of the workspace, servers pane, for individual servers.
HQ3

download count reset itself after midnight

Post by HQ3 »

I agree that the download count reset itself after midnight or a user defined time, each day and based on server priority would restart in 15 min intervals

For me this would be top of my wish list, as my local ISP is fragmented a little too often.

HQ3

P.s Great work, Great Product.
alex

Post by alex »

"and based on server priority would restart in 15 min intervals" ? -

download counters don't depend on exceeding download limit.

I'll check these issues, regarging the original request probably using the server menu instead of additional column in server properties (which is not desirable) would help.
alex

Post by alex »

ok i added all that see the next release (2)
edfreeman

Post by edfreeman »

Outstanding!
jsdkr

Post by jsdkr »

I have a question or it could be viewed as a request for later . Now that the bandwith counters can ignore headers I could use it to track my bandwith on giganews . Except it is by the month an I would need to put in 720 hours . This is not a urgent need as I can go to giganews web site and get this info . Just a though . :)

===================== :mrgreen: =================
; )