UE is way cool! but I have a few questions...

Tipperton

UE is way cool! but I have a few questions...

Post by Tipperton »

I just switched from NP to UE...

I cannot believe how much *FASTER* UE is compared to NP!!!! Way Cool!

Now my question (I'm sure there will be more ... one of the biggest problems with both NP and UE is the lack of good documentation... :()
  1. On the search bar there are two unlabeled check boxes (one at each end), what are these for and what do they do?
  2. On a number of the tabs in the properties windows there is a row of unlabeled buttons below some of the settings, same thing what are they for and what do they do?
Would it really have been so hard to label these controls? Not really complaining, just curious about the decision to not label them.

And is anyone trying or putting together some decent documentation/information? I know how much "fun" documenting a program is (I'm a developer too and it's one task I never look forward to.) but it does go a long way towards minimizing support work and gives the program that extra bit of "umph" that can make the difference. If it hadn't been for my experience with NP and the quality of Alex's programs, I'd have never bought UE just because of the lack of good documentation.
:cool: [b]Tipperton Thistledown[/b]
[i]Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
Else Evil triumphant will ascend and rule fore ever more.[/i]
Gary Gnews

Post by Gary Gnews »

1 - I know that the checkbox all the way to the right of the search bar opens the "find" option for searching as opposed to filtering. The other checkbox at the left turns on the quickfilters (flagged, ^flagged, etc.). If you check a filter, they will automatically be turned on and that left-most box will be checked. If you uncheck that left-most box, the quickfilters will be turned off.

2 - The unlabeled buttons are used to determine which fields are active for the copy/paste functions.

There is some documentation underway. Jaapf has been doing a fantasic job with a tutorial. He has posted the URL in this forum, so I am sure he won't mind me passing it along once again:

http://ue-tutorial.zapto.org

Hope this helps!
-- GG
Tipperton

Post by Tipperton »

Gary Gnews wrote:Hope this helps!
Me too! When I started using NP it was up to v3 so some documentation already existed which helped. Even so, it still took a while to learn the program.

With UE I'm pretty much starting along with most everyone else, so, as Jonny 5 from the "Short Circuit" movies liked to say.... "I need INPUT!!!" :D
:cool: [b]Tipperton Thistledown[/b]
[i]Seek the aid of those not men to quench the fires of war,
Else Evil triumphant will ascend and rule fore ever more.[/i]