Missing Newsgroup

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
Ascendro

Missing Newsgroup

Post by Ascendro »

Can you please add the following new newsgroup to the search index: alt.binaries.tv.deutsch.dokumentation
Thanks in advance.
alex

Post by alex »

i added it but currently only newshosting has it, if usenetserver has "add newsgroup" form try to contact them so there will be more than one source.
Ascendro

Post by Ascendro »

Yes, I'm using Newshosting.com, but I think that this newsgroup will get more traffic in the near future.
The other NSP's I'm using (Buzzardnews, Astraweb, Usenet-News) don't carry this group at the moment.

Unfortunately I don't use UNS.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

I don't know about the other two but you can read at Astraweb:
Astraweb wrote:Members can now add a group anonymously. Login to your account and click "add a group". You will be given a URL which changes daily for security reasons. You can then add a group at that URL. Your username nor any of your personal details are NOT logged.
alex

Post by alex »

if newshosting doesn't add articles in newsgroups out of order (i don't know, ask their support) and provides sufficient completeness one source should be ok too.

but i see newsgroups tend to be added, e.g. someone asked a week ago to add alt.binaries.hotrod, at the time no newsserver was carrying it and now there are two newsservers which have it.
Ascendro

Post by Ascendro »

@Josef K: Thanks for the tipp. I've requested the newsgroup at Astraweb.
alex wrote:if newshosting doesn't add articles in newsgroups out of order (i don't know, ask their support) and provides sufficient completeness one source should be ok too.
Newshosting has already the mentioned newsgroup with the full article count and I'm able to download the articles too. Thanks for the extension of your search engine to this group.
From which provider(s) did you receive the header informations for your search service?
Ody55ey

Post by Ody55ey »

I also requested the group added to NGroups (who are excellent by the way :wink: and also have a 70+ day retention)

They replied:
---
Hello,

I have aded the group alt.binaries.tv.deutsch.dokumentation to the list of groups that will be added at the next update.
Unfortunately, but due to a problem with the group-add process, it may take a bit longer than normal before it shows up on the systems.

Best Regards,

Support /Mike
---

Hope this helps out you guys.
Ascendro

Post by Ascendro »

@Ody55ey: Thanks for your effort.
NGroups is a sister company from Usenet-News.net. The only difference between these 2 NSP's is that Usenet-News offers block-accounts and NGroups offers flatrates.