[req] Download packages

Maximum

Post by Maximum »

It now works oke with large files.

I did import->import headers from clipboard -> import headers

I did this while there was nothing on the clipboard (or at least not that I did know of), and then Newspro crashed (It showed an error message with some info, like mail etc). And when I pressed ok, newspro shutdown, and after restart I had to restore the database. Don't know what exactly went wrong but I guess "newspro" didn't checked what was on the clipboard or something. :idea:
Overseer

Post by Overseer »

uc2k2 wrote:Just do the following (after you've saved a .nbz-file to disk):

Go to import and choose "Import headers".
In the dialog-box find the saved nbz-file and open it;
Seconds later a new "newsgroup" will be available: #~Import which contains all the imported headers.

Obviously "Import&download" and "Import&Download&Save" work the same but they will auto-start downloading bodies and saving them.
Tried the above as suggested but still a no-go. I am using Binnews for this service (which saves the file for NewsPro as a .zml file and not a .nbz) so I am assuming perhaps the problem lies within the Binnews generated file. Has anyone gotten this to work with Binnews?

Thanks,
Overseer
alex

Post by alex »

with binnews it is a different story, they want to support their zipped format.

it somewhat makes sense since if you zip .nzb file you e.g. get 44KB out of 348KB due to repeated words, from 2.71MB you get 254KB, i.e. comression ratio when the size is significant is about 10.

so i'm checking that.

in the last email i got from them they gave me a simple format trivial to add, i thought it is .zml and it caused confusion.
alex

Post by alex »

maximum: it was caused by nothing in clipboard, it has been fixed (needed to check when windows clipboard retrieving function fails).

<snip outdated link>

clipboard is used only for www.binaries.nl

you press ctrl+a to select everything in browser, then ctrl+c to copy to clipboard, then invoke import from clipboard in newspro.

ok now i check what to do with binnews.
Overseer

Post by Overseer »

alex wrote:with binnews it is a different story, they want to support their zipped format.

it somewhat makes sense since if you zip .nzb file you e.g. get 44KB out of 348KB due to repeated words, from 2.71MB you get 254KB, i.e. comression ratio when the size is significant is about 10.

so i'm checking that.

in the last email i got from them they gave me a simple format trivial to add, i thought it is .zml and it caused confusion.
Ok, that makes sense. Since I tried opening the .zml file from Binnews in notepad all I got was gobbly-gook. Opening it in Winrar allowed me to view the compressed file.

I thought that by extracting the compressed file from Winrar and then importing the uncompressed file into NewsPro 3.713 would work, but alas, it didn't. I tried the uncompressed file with both .zml and .nzb extensions.

What is the purpose of the Import>Import file associations menu for? Selecting either zml or nzb doesn't do anything on my end.

Thanks.
Maximum

Post by Maximum »

Clipboard copy works without problems now, it works like a charm :)

@Overseer: According to what I've read earlier the file association part isn't finished yet. If I understand it right it will going to work as follows:
If you do that then that extensions get registrered by "NewsPro", and if you double click on one of them, they will be loaded into "News"Pro". Correct me if I'm wrong :)
alex

Post by alex »

the binnews format is not directly readable even when unzipped, it has codes for subject, author etc., i have here the specification.

just wait until i finish it, it won't take long.

the file association is for when you doubleclick the file of this type; it will launch newspro etc., the menu items are supposed to be checked/unchecked when you press them. i'm not sure it is working now completely and i have a question what file type newzbin site returns, clearly it is all of secondary importance relative to the front end implementations.
Overseer

Post by Overseer »

Maximum wrote:@Overseer: According to what I've read earlier the file association part isn't finished yet. If I understand it right it will going to work as follows:
If you do that then that extensions get registrered by "NewsPro", and if you double click on one of them, they will be loaded into "News"Pro". Correct me if I'm wrong :)
Ah, ok. That sounds like an exciting addition to the program. 8)
Overseer

Post by Overseer »

alex wrote:the binnews format is not directly readable when unzipped too, it has codes for subject, author etc.

just wait until i include it, after the gzip decoder code has been incorporated it will be fast.
"Patience, my young Padawan." :lol:

Ok, I'll have some patience. This makes up for Easynews no longer allowing xpat searches. This is a great addition to an already great program. :D
jaapf

Post by jaapf »

Alex, you're a wonder :D

Just tried the clipboard-thing at binaries.nl for a few missing segments (Npro seems to "miss" some articles from time to time) and they were filled like a charm from my Payserver (even when the headers were not available after a rescan). You made my day!
Overseer

Post by Overseer »

Just tried out the binaries.nl option myself. Nothing happened when I selected the 'Import&Download' option from the 'Import from Clipboard' menu but when I selected the 'Import&Download&Save' option it worked like a charm (and very fast). Thumbs up on this one.
onestep

Post by onestep »

Alex,
Thanks so much for implementing this. It is sweet. I too was using newsleecher for the last few days. Now I remember why I registered my Newspro..for excellent support like this.

I didn't even use the binnews discount...I wanted you to have all the cash ;-)
alex

Post by alex »

this release also supports the zml format which is preferred by binnews:

http://www.netwu.com/newspro/NewsProImport3714.zip

as to the nzb format nothing has changed.

although i added zml - for now newspro doesn't check for maliciously formed data (doesn't matter as long as zml files are right which is the case), it only checks the id tags. all such small things i'll add tomorrow.

also maybe better to make 'copy from clipboard' one option but add a similar popup menu with settings, what to do when a file is imported by doubleclicking or from clipboard (just import,download or download&save), it will make more sense with the same number of options.
Overseer

Post by Overseer »

This is just a repeat of what I posted over in Binnews but added here for the benefit of all others:

Alex,

Saw your message and downloaded v3.714.

Selecting 'Import Headers' from the menu and importing the .zml file worked as supposed to.

Selecting 'Import&Download&Save' from the menu and importing the .zml file worked as supposed to.

Associating the .zml file within WindowsXP Pro SP1 to NewsPro and then selecting the .zml file from within Explorer brought up NewsPro with the #~Import newsgroup created. Opening the #~Import newsgroup shows all headers that were selected from the Binnews website. Worked as supposed to.

Fantastic job. Saved me alot of time downloading headers from a.b.dvdr. With this function I may never download headers again (may :wink: ).

Just one suggestion... When everything is done and you have the file association thing worked out in Newspro, I would like Newspro to ask me what database to use when I select the .zml from within Explorer. As it is now when someone selects the .zml file from within Explorer, NewsPro will open up to the last database used. I myself have several different databases setup for whatever it is I'm downloading, one for TV, one for Apps, etc., and one database just for Imports (as this database is small and allows NewsPro to open up faster than the other databases (I have database backup on start enabled)).

Thanks,
Overseer
jaapf

Post by jaapf »

one question though:
Since you implemted this, in version's 7.13 en 7.14 (which i've tested) the Taskmanager isn't working the way it should.

The progression bars for the segments that are downloaded don't show the progress anymore. Also the "Time Left" display doesn't make any sense anymore. I expect it's because you (temporarely) use fraction's of the code in a way it wasn't designed for (so it's because of the beta-testing), but I still thought I mention it to you :wink: