[req] Download packages

uc2k2

[req] Download packages

Post by uc2k2 »

With so many indexing services out there it is almost a shame each and every user of a NNTP-Client has to obtain header-info himself. Although XPAT has made life a lot easier it can also take a long time to get the headers you need.

I have been working on NNTP-Clients (obtaining/posting) myself for a while and have been working on what I call "Download Packages". A Download Package is a simple text file containing the headers for a specific post. For example:

==============================================
[GENERAL]
POST="Philosophy - Russell, Bertrand"
POSTER="NoiZy"
FILES=1
GROUP=alt.binaries.e-book.technical

[FILE1]
FILENAME="What is Mind.pdf"
PARTS=4
PART1="<6LtLa.2938020$CK1.440130@news.easynews.com>"
PART2="<CLtLa.401520$pv3.2849337@news.easynews.com>"
PART3="<PMtLa.2937596$YZ.444281@news.easynews.com>"
PART4="<oMtLa.401563$pv3.2849337@news.easynews.com>"
==============================================

The above is a basic example, it can also contain multiple files.

It would really be nice to be able to import a Download Package file into NewsPro since it can download the bodies using msg-id direct.

I would gladly help to setup a system for generating DLP-files and changing the lay-out if necessary for NewsPro.

Let me know what you think of this idea Alex.
alex

Post by alex »

i thought about similar things, to put message-ids along with the subject in one post (possibly a hierarchy like a movie post or an album consisting of many partial messages), the problem is it would require at least server cooperation regarding synchronizing expiration since the binaries themselves may well expire much faster than the small index files so one cannot rely on the index files.
uc2k2

Newsleecher has something like it..

Post by uc2k2 »

NewsLeecher is one of the first programs who offers something like the download-packages I suggested earlier. Using the site newzbin.com you can download a file with message-IDs which can be used for direct downloading.

I really would like to see the ability to import message-ids into NewsPro (and export from it). Especially since more and more servers block XPAT.
SJ_Steve

Newzbin .nwb file handling would be *awesome*.

Post by SJ_Steve »

That would completely eliminate a lot of the header downloads that I go through now. If you haven't seen it, it's an XML file that looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<nzb>

<file subject="(????) [05/92] - "dpv-fat.r03" yEnc (1/201)" poster="sexten@EFNet.irc (sexten)">
<groups>
<group>alt.binaries.dvdr</group>
</groups>

<segments>
<segment bytes="258241" number="1">3fce0793$0$13453$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com</segment>
<segment bytes="258736" number="2">3fce0798$0$13453$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com</segment>

(and so on)

</segments>
</file>
TheDiggler

Post by TheDiggler »

I would like to strongly ask this feature added. I am Newzbin user and with this new feature alone has made me tempted to move to Newsleecher. I have tested there beta but it does not come close to Newspro in function, I do like there interface however.

Please add this feature!!!
invalid

Post by invalid »

I too use newzbin and I think it would be great to add this into newspro,
they have a button download message id list then you dont have to download the headers.
alex

Post by alex »

i could add an option in the workspace, 'newsgroups' pane "import headers" to a [search] group).

if you provide me with full specs and some examples (through their admin?) i could check it.
uc2k2

Post by uc2k2 »

Hi Alex.

I wouldn't mind buidling an open-standard for this feature and also make a converter for converting NewzBin files to this open-standard. Maybe you should checkout a file from NewzBin to see what kind of information they provide currently (I can als supply you with one).

Just let me know...
DNWHome3

Post by DNWHome3 »

alex

Post by alex »

in short try to give me with more info, i'm not a paying member or using their service so i don't have access to it. also www.binnews.com is going to provide (or providing) a similar feature.
uc2k2

Post by uc2k2 »

Alex: I've send you a private message regarding the nbz-files.
alex

Post by alex »

ok i got here samples i'll try to do it some time next week.
uc2k2

Post by uc2k2 »

That sure is great news. Best of luck, I think this feature shouldn't be left out in Newspro!
dysmyl

Post by dysmyl »

Got to say im really glad this is being implemented. I've been a registerd user of NewsPro for years but thought I would try Newsleecher to see how that function worked. Although the concept was great it was like going from driving a BMW to driving a Pinto. Both get you to the location but in one the ride is REALLY bumpy and keeps breaking down :) I'm not speaking bad of the team over there I respect them and think they are working hard but Newspro has just spoilt me when it comes to working with newsgroups. :lol:
Bodach

Post by Bodach »

alex wrote:ok i got here samples i'll try to do it some time next week.
Thanks Alex, this will be a good addition to NewsPro. Looking forward
to a new version.