Search failed

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
swent

Search failed

Post by swent »

For the past six or seven hours, I've been recieving error messages as follows
Search failed A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or
This is unusual and I'm wondering if the service is/was down? Tia for response.
nicosch

same problem here

Post by nicosch »

same problem here
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Change the port number to 2021. Remember to change it back after a few hours if 2020 is working OK again, though. It should be on 2020 unless there are problems.
nicosch

Post by nicosch »

where do i change the port number?
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Properties->General, bottom middle of the dialogue.
nicosch

Post by nicosch »

OK, thank you, changing port to 2021 solved the search problem.
swent

Post by swent »

Thank you indeed, the port change did the trick.
alex

Post by alex »

the same problem with the router, i'm trying to get it fixed asap, password changed i cannot reset it myself right now.
telex

Post by telex »

thank you soooo much, Josef.
alex

Post by alex »

the problem has been resolved, my router account has been accidentally deleted, in the future i'll be able to reset the router myself promptly if it reoccurs.

also true registered users can choose between ports 2020 or 2021 if it happens again before the router is replaced.
kilaya

Search service issue

Post by kilaya »

I can't seem to "telnet" to either of the ports 2020 or 2021 on the indexing server, but the address resolves, so it's not a DNS issue. The search service worked as recently as last night, but something seems to be amiss again. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but don't think it's a client-side thing.
Thanks for any help.
Cochrane

Post by Cochrane »

Same prob here atm.
dengle

Post by dengle »

try again. internet access was temporarily unavailable due to preparations for contractor work tomorrow. While every effort will be made to maintain access for the next two days, some periodic downtime may occur.