Search Function 1.97 <-> ISA 2006

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
jaap114

Search Function 1.97 <-> ISA 2006

Post by jaap114 »

Ever since I've updated to version 1.97 I can't use the search function any more.

In the previous version I made a seperate rule in ISA server to connect to port 2020. As I understand the current version doesn't offer a static port any more, so how can I connect/use the search function without a socks v5 proxy? :evil:

I'm already stuck at point where the software tries to update the search functonality.
With ISA Server logs and Wireshark I managed to figure out that it tries to get an update file (UeSrv) from netwu.com. I'm receiving the file, sending an ACK back to the update server. After that total silence, after some time UE times out claiming my firewall is blocking trafic?

Howto fix this? :?:
alex

Post by alex »

yes it goes to the ue website to download uesrv.txt which contains host and port, so let it do it when it requests it (it works through http so it is port 80 www.netwu.com, the ue website is www.netwu.com/ue), it also stores those coordinates in its registry, so unless i changed something in the configuration here it won't go and download it again. i could also to add an option to update configuraton from a file i'm not sure though it makes sense.

right now the search server is the same as in the previous version (the port you mentioned).

if i change the configuration the port may change, but changes in configuration will be rare and commonly associated with increasing retention, the new scheme is able to provide unlimited retention without software upgrade but in practical terms probably there will be only one or two changes in the future depending on how things are going on.

ue uses the website only in two ways now: first, check for updates - reading http://www.netwu.com/version_reg.htm if check for updates is enabled in properties->general->check for updates and since v1.9.7 reading the search service configuration, it is the only purpose, so should be no problem to allow this.

if you want exact details about access point especially if configuration will change just contact me, but the access will basically remain static.
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

Why not just state the current port assignment in Help->Diagnostics? A few people now have been mentioning that they are having some sort of firewall trouble due to this.
alex

Post by alex »

it is possible to add manual loading of the configuration file.
also add show search service configuration option in the help menu and direct users there if search service requests generate socket error messages.

hardwiring configuration so changing configuration would requre a release is not a good idea, since the new scheme is more intricated and i want to change things of fly if i need without making a release.

we'll revisit the matter when i'll be back in 1 day (was not here for about 5 days).
jaap114

Post by jaap114 »

My problem is that it apperently receives configuration file but doesn't do anything with it.

Everytime I try searching something first I get a message box saying:
Search service configuration has changed or has been deleted.
After some time (in wich I can see with Wireshark that it receives the configuration file) I get this error:
Error updating search service configuration, Pleas ensure that UE is not blocked by firewall from downloading the configuration from the UE website.
I've tried to reset the configuration (Edit -> Properties -> General TAB -> Reset Configuration) with the same result.

Alex: You said it saves the information from configuration file in the registry. I can't find anything in the registry (HKLM doesn't contain any UE keys and HKCU only contains only a few entries, but nothing about search). Where in the registry does the program safe this information?

Is this problem firewall related or is something else wrong?
Josef K

Post by Josef K »

jaap114 wrote:Where in the registry does the program safe this information?
UE doesn't use the registry for its settings. The information will probably be stored in reg.dat which, of course, is a binary file and that always makes it harder to read.
alex

Post by alex »

the configuration file is at http://www.netwu.com/ue/uesrv.txt

if you have trouble getting it from UE website, and you have your own website you can try to edit the windows hosts file and put uesrv.txt on your own server so UE will go there and download it.

another way maybe is to put UE database on a flash drive and access network from less restricted environment and to make at least one search, then reg.dat will contain the current configuration.

i'll try to add the manual load configuration from file option in settings, just right now I'll first will be doubling retention to see how it works with the new computer.

what i don't understand you were able to set UE to go to uexxxxxxx.dyndns.org port xxxx but you cannot allow it in the same way to access www.netwu.com port 80?