Search Failed.. (shortly forgot how to switch configuration)

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
HotLoomis

Search Failed.. (shortly forgot how to switch configuration)

Post by HotLoomis »

Receiving a message: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. (System 10054)
alex

Post by alex »

it is working now, just the second server system failed and i forgot how to switch the configuration right, because since the august there was no need to do it even once.

but right now the service is being run with 50 day retention on the backup server until the other server restarted.

with the failed server most likely need to replace power supply (i noticed some voltage deviations), the new power supply has already arrived also there will be another computer available shortly to do hardware tests thoroughly if power supply replacement won't help, faulty RAM is possible but unlikely.
alex

Post by alex »

the second server has now came alive (i guess we are lucky).

i'll switch server shortly to full retention, take the opportunity first to make backup.

this weekend the power supply must be replaced.
alex

Post by alex »

ok it has almost restarted.

when it does i'll switch the configuration first with the backup server still supplying full newsgroup range until the second server will catch up, then i'll restart backup server with picture groups only as usual.

at least it was an emergency drill how to switch to the backup server.
alex

Post by alex »

running at full retention now.
alex

Post by alex »

i've restarted the backup server as the second server is now up to date.

after checking i think it is not hardware but some windows bug with remote login when access is sluggish, the system went unresponsive and the server stopped when i tried to login, then cancelled the login and tried to login again - it gave error creating login session. i just checked server running record when the server stopped getting headers against my first msn message when i mentioned the issue to someone shortly after it happened - the time is about the same, within few minutes, so it is unlikely there is other reason than the retried login which went wrong.