Search Server in 64bit Win7

03 Oct 23: One server was relocated, the server currently doesn't have a public IP address since in the meantime it is running on starlink. I wrote some additional tunnel code running separately to handle this. When the server is engaged the connection is 5600+ days uniform (since around 24 July 2008). In the unlikely case I disengaged the server because of some problem the retention is 1200-3800 days depending on newsgroup. If you experience any issue please let me know.

29 Nov 23: Because of encrypted and obfuscated posts flood mass posted by a few nzb indexing websites using usenet servers as private storage for their members to download the posts - the situation with the content is pretty chaotic since their purpose is to post in such a way, so users must use their website exclusively, when the website disappears - the encrypted posts just eat usenet providers' hard disk space uselessly. If you can't find something specific please let me know at alexbirj at gmail dot com what exactly you can't find for me to check how it is possible to retain the posts. Non-obfuscated posts shouldn't be affected at all, let me know if you notice anything missing.

29 Nov 23: The search protocol had to be upgraded to extend 3 byte (16M+) limit on the server side for number of sets per instance, so at least the version 5.8.3 is needed to access it, otherwise should be no any difference.
Bob

Search Server in 64bit Win7

Post by Bob »

I've installed the 64 bit version in a new WIndows7 install and having problems connecting to the search server. No problems with news server connections or downloads.

I've looked under Properties>General>Import/Search and can't find any reference to the search server or port options. Can't find one anywhere else either so am stumped a bit on how to get it set up. It could be a firewall issue I suppose, I'm trying out the new one in Windows7 and not really up to speed on it yet.

The message I get is: "Search failed. Cannot find server or DNS error"

Thanks
Bob
alex

Post by alex »

Can you browse the web for example? UE doesn't listen on any ports, there are just outgoing TCP connections.

Do you associate UE with your news server somehow explicitly?

I've sent you pm with more details.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Is there somewhere to enter the server information that I am missing? I'm not having any troubles browsing in any other ways.
alex

Post by alex »

There is no place to enter it, it is all automatic so I'm able to do something when e.g. connectivity is lost.

There is a button in edit menu->properties->general, import/search, reset configuration, you may press it and check if the error will change or not.

If it will have trouble changing configuration it means UE cannot access UE website as well.

If the error will remain the same try to ping those URLs, most likely they are blocked somehow, can you ping them from the command prompt?

Again my question is did you explicitly allow UE access the news server somewhere in firewall or router settings or it just worked from the beginning, if it worked just like that are you using URL or numeric IP address?
Bob

Post by Bob »

I had already tried the reset, to no avail.

I went to the UE website downloaded the latest 64 bit version , installed it, added the newsserver and away she went (once I remembered my username for that). I've browsing the UE forum and website looking for helpful hints with no problems.

After installation I added a couple of groups, went and downloaded some files and then went to try the search service to find something in particular and that's when it responded with that message.

I'll go through the properties tabs and see if I can spot any changes I made that might be related. I left most everything at defaults. I don't usually change anything if there's no reason, but there are times...

I haven't done anything to the firewall and the router's the same settings that worked in XP/32. I'll try a cpature later and see what I can see.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I finally got time to chase down and turn on the telnet client in windows7 and I can ping the servers and get the right addresses but am not able to connect using telnet. I will have to try and track dwon where it's getting blocked. Am short of time right now so hope to get back to this later and work on it some more.
alex

Post by alex »

It appears outgoing ports are blocked in the firewall or router.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes Alex, it's definitely the firewall. I've jsut worked on it and I've only been able to get it to work in Win7 by disabling the firewall completely or allowing everything for UE so far.

The Win7 firewall is typically convoluted and very difficult to manage. I am going to have to work on it for a while to figure that out so I can exert some control over what's going on. Had to trial an add-on (windows 7 Firewall Control) to help me get the firewall into a context that I could grasp without spending days studying the MS view of the world. Can't say the add-on is really great yet but we'll see.

Thanks very much for your help. It was very puzzling.